Easily Do It Yourself
Butterfly Money Gifts Instructions:
As with any project, the first thing to do is to ensure you have everything you will need to complete the task. So start by gathering everything you need to make the butterfly money gift from the supplies list below.
- You will need two bills for each butterfly money gift you want to make. Keep in mind that the denomination of money you choose and the number of butterflies you want to make will determine the gift amount. For example, it requires two $10 bills to make one $20 butterfly money gift. If you used $5 bills then you can make two butterflies to equal a total butterfly money gift of $20.
- You will need one twist tie for each butterfly money gift you want to make. I like to use the twists made for plants as they are much gentler on the money. The package of 100 plant twist ties shown in the photo can be purchased on Amazon.
Note: It is good to have both bills facing the same direction when you start folding them.
- Flatten and smooth out both bills.
Use one bill for the top wings on the butterfly money gift:
- Fold each short side of the bill in about a half-inch.
- Then fold the bill in half the long way. Press firmly along the fold you just made. Then open the bill back up again. Now there will be a crease to use as a guide for the next step.
- Next, one at a time, fold all four corners of the bill in towards the center and align it with the crease.
- To make the accordion or fan-fold, start by folding the top side down about a quarter of an inch. Then flip over and repeat until you have folded the rest of the bill. It should take about 8 or 9 quarter-inch folds to finish folding the top wings.
Use the second bill for the bottom wings on the butterfly money gift:
- Make the accordion or fan fold again, but this time start by folding either short side of the bill in about a quarter of an inch. Then flip over and repeat until you have folded the rest of the bill. It should take about 16 or 17 quarter-inch folds to finish the bottom wings. It does not have to be exact.
- To attach together, grab the bill you folded for the top wings between two fingers and holding tightly in the center. Then place the bill you folded for the bottom wings directly underneath and hold together. Now wrap it in the center with a twist tie. Wrap the tie around a couple of times and allow the remaining ends of the twist tie to act as the butterfly’s antenna. *Be careful not to twist the tie too tightly it could harm your money!
- Finally, gently spread out the wings and enjoy!